Fort Davis was established by the U.S. Army in 1854 to protect travelers migrating westward on the San Antonio-El Paso Road from Indian attacks and outlaws. It is located in the town of Fort Davis in the Davis Mountains of West Texas. In 1961, it was authorized as a unit of the National Park Service. The historic buildings and ruins of Fort Davis NHS are regarded by historians as one of the best surviving examples of a frontier military post in the American Southwest.
ABOUT THE FRIENDS
The Friends of Fort Davis National Historic Site was established in 1983 as a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization.
Its purpose is to support those activities approved by the National Park Service for which congressional funds are not available. The scope of these activities includes preservation, restoration, planning, research, educational, and cultural programs.
Find compact ceiling fans with lights beside the main door.